Monday, July 27, 2009

Thing 22

It is hard for me to think in terms of how this would help fellow librarians. I am just a library student and my first real library position will not begin for several more weeks. My background is teaching and I think it would be extremely helpful for teachers to participate in a 23 Things. I was asked during my interview to describe a potential staff development training that I could give to my fellow staff members. This would have been perfect to have mentioned!

Schools are limited in terms of access to multiple computers at one time for staff training. However, the projection system is used frequently during staff trainings. One thing could easily be included during each staff meeting (except those things that are blocked by the school internet system). Exposing the staff to the Thing would be the first step. Then emails with links and info similar to each blog could be sent to give teachers an opportunity to explore at their own leisure. Just to spice it up, I would also include a drawing for those that participated all the way through and blogged about it. I think that I would include some of the Creative Content videos for sure but I would also include information from reputable education web sites. For example, on the Podcast Thing I would send out a link to podcasts on the Library of Congress web site. Or, I would include a United Streaming Thing to accompany the You Tube (in addition to Teacher Tube).

Part of the benefit of the Thing experience is to keep up with what are students are doing. We have to know what they use to connect with them. Thing training would be a great step in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment